Theory of Writing

When I was in high school, in English classes, the teacher gave us tasks to write an ordinary essay with 250 words, and the topic was free. The first obstacle I encountered was when choosing a topic. The following was how to write an essay? What should I include in it? Teachers had always told the usual structure of the writing, instead of teaching us how to write it. Obviously, I did not really have so much knowledge. However, when I entered City College, I saw progress in my writing, and now, after all this time, I learned to write and defined my theory of writing. 

The first essay in the English Composition class has contributed to my theory of writing the most. It was a source-based essay, and I was writing about “Robots will replace humans in many areas.” After writing this essay, I realized that my theory of writing consists of the following steps:

1. Identify a question.  Perhaps one of the most important parts of the writing, since everything will rest on whether you are asking the right question and whether you can give an answer to it. I believe that a significant amount of time should be spent on this stage since having modeled every detail of your writing is the key to a well-written work. While if you neglect this stage, then you will see that your first draft turned out to be terrible and, not only you but your professor will notice it.
  2. Form a statement. When I was written my essays, I captured only one theme “Robots will replace humans in many areas.” I realized that I like to saturate with questions in the introduction after forming the statement. “Robots will replace humans in many areas. When? Where? What do I need to do so as not to be on the street?”(Source-based essay) 
  3. Support your statement by various sources. When choosing sources, you need to understand that they must be reliable and peer-reviewed. After choosing the sources, you need to put them in the correct order so that the essay does not look like jumping back and forth, because it will be difficult for a person to switch quickly, and sometimes completely lose the desire to continue reading. Try to make a small transition between each source. For example, “Blake Morgan’s article “Robots will take our jobs we need a plan: 4 scenarios for the future” emphasizes that it is impossible to stop the development of technology… Blake Morgan gave us hope, however, the statistics of Erin Carson, a reporter from Cnet, breathtaking in numbers.”(Source-based essay)
  4. Form a conclusion. After hard work, when you come to an end, the most important thing is to summarize everything briefly and convincingly, because of this I always write the conclusion in an incentive tone, conveying my motivation to change something. This leaves good emotions on the face of the reader. “We live in a non-stop era, so we must live up to it. We need to know what we are facing and must be prepared for trouble… To change people’s view of a problem, one must always start with oneself and be able to fulfill oneself, then people will stretch themselves.”(Inquiry-based essay)

In the end, I would like to explain why I took the blog post as a genre. Nowadays, people require simplicity and lazy, everything must be emphasized and write in a clear language. So, I chose this genre so that everyone could read it and not go into the deepening in this writing.